Quilts Around the Block: August 9th-11th 2019
Print a flier HERE.
Friday, August 9th
· 9:00am-4:00pm The Ten Commandments Quilt Class (American Lutheran Church, 200 East 12th). In this hands-on construction class, Teresa Coenen will introduce the center block of her Ten Commandments pattern. The pattern series will explore each of the Ten Commandments that God gave to Moses as they relate to modern society and culture. The First Commandment can be set individually as a wall hanging or table topper, or can be the beginning of the full quilt. Known primarily for her faith-based designs, Teresa (and her quilts) have traveled all over the country (and a few other countries) to share her quilting faith journey with others.
Class fee: $45.00, includes pattern and lunch. Fabric supply list provided upon registration. Pre-registration required. Contact the Chamber at 308-784-3930 to register.
· Friday Evening: Look for other special events TBA.
Saturday, August 10th
· Hours Vary by Individual Businesses, Walking Tour of Quilts throughout town, brochure at Quilt Show.
· 9:30am-4:00pm Quilt Show at the American Lutheran Church (200 East 12th) Enjoy the beauty of quilts draped over the pews in the sanctuary. A special display of quilts featuring wings will celebrate the Wings Across the Heartland/Rhakenna’s Wings project. Free admission courtesy of Cozad Chamber Tourism.
· 9:00, 10:00, 11:00am; Barn Quilt Guided Tour departs from American Lutheran Church, $5.00 donation to the Grand Generation Center. See over 40 Barn Quilts. Reservations requested as seating is limited. Call the Grand Generation Center (308-784-2747) to register.
· 2:00pm Wings Across the Heartland/Rhakenna’s Wings presentation. Tasia Aden will share her journey about her daughter who inspired the Rhakenna’s Wings project. (American Lutheran Church)
· 2:30pm My Quilting Faith Journey Lecture. Teresa Coenen, owner of Stitchin’ Tree Quilts in Southwest Iowa, will take you on a journey of faith and quilting, weaving a story of how her faith has impacted her quilt designs and charitable quilt ministry. Each block pattern in Teresa’s faith-based quilt designs include a devotional/inspirational message. (American Lutheran Church)
Sunday, August 11th
· 10:30am Church Service at American Lutheran Church, Kathy Gundell will present an inspiring message illustrating the connections between quilting and faith.
· 2:00 pm Barn Quilt Painting Workshop at the Old Cozad Mill. Paint your own barn quilt, choose from a variety of designs including spiritual motifs, or bring your own ideas. Pre-registration required. Cost varies by size of barn quilt selected. Contact Rose at Rustic Milling and Craft to register. (308-529-8992)
Display Your Quilts We can’t have a show without quilts! Print a registration form at cozadchamber.com or contact Julie at Prairie Point Junction, 308-784-2010. We would especially love quilts with a religious theme or those that depict any type of wings (butterflies, angels, etc), but all styles, new or vintage are welcome.
Print both pages of the Quilt Registration form:
Schoolhouse Shuffle August 15th-24th